Understanding problems with a HP Laptop Battery
Troubleshoot the AC Power supply
To verify that the HP DV1000 AC power supply (18.5V 3.5A 65W) is functioning properly, follow the steps below.
- Plug the AC adapter “directly” into a wall outlet (functioning well one), and plug connector into the computer. Do not plug into a power strip, surge protector or secondary power source.
- Verify the following operation and take the appropriate action:
- That all power cord connections are secure. If the AC adapter connection to the notebook is loose, the connector may be damaged and require repair. Contact HP service and support for further assistance.
- That the power button or power LED is lit when the computer is on.
- That an LED on the AC power supply adapter is lit when plugged into an AC wall outlet (not available on all AC power supply adapters).
- That the AC power supply adapter is the correct type. Different laptop models require different AC power supply adapters. You will need to know the Product Number of your notebook to determine the Part Number of the replacement part. You can check the correct spec of HP Pavilion DV1000 AC Adapter & other popular models we list on the bottom of this article too.
Troubleshoot the System Board
If the power cord has been verified functioning properly, now, we go to the 2nd step: troubleshoot the system board by following the steps below.
- Remove the battery, and keep the notebook connected to AC power.
- Press and release the Power button to start the computer.
- If the laptop powers on, then the AC adapter and system board are functioning properly. Go to Troubleshoot the battery in the next step .
- If the Power LED is off, then the AC power adapter needs to be replaced.
- If the power LED is on, but the notebook PC does not power on, then the notebook PC needs to be repaired. Contact HP for further assistance.
- Shut down Windows by selecting “Shut Down” from the Start Menu.
Troubleshoot the Laptop Battery
If you have verified the AC adapter and system board are functioning correctly, the last step is to troubleshoot the battery. Follow the steps below.
- Insert the battery into the battery compartment.
- Connect the AC power supply and allow the battery to charge for 15 to 30 minutes.NOTE: The power LED, located near the power icon (displayed as a lightening bolt on most PCs) , should glow while the battery is charging.
- Unplug the DV1000 AC power adapter cord from the HP Pavilion notebook PC.
- Start the computer using only the battery as the power source by pressing and release the Power button.
- If the laptop does not power on, then the battery needs to be replaced.
- If the notebook does power on, the battery is a good one.
NOTE: If you have purchased a second battery for your notebook PC or you have access to an identical battery, you can also check the battery by inserting the second battery into the PC and performing the Troubleshoot the battery steps again.
Spec of HP DV1000 AC Adapter & Battery is listed below.
- Input: AC100-240V (worldwide use
- Output: DC18.5V 3.5A
- Power: 65W
- Connecter size:
- Internal Diameter: 1.7mm
- External Diameter: 4.8mm
- Type: Li-ion
- Voltage: 10.8V
- Capacity: 4400mAh
Compatible Part Number of HP Pavilion DV1000 Laptop Battery
PB995A, PB995A#ABA, 361856-002, 361856-003, 367760-001, 367769-001, 383492-001, 395753-002, 396603-001, 403737-001, HSTNN-C17C, HSTNN-DB10, HSTNN-IB10, PH602AV, PK493AV, PK494AV, 361855-004, 361856-002, 361856-003, 367759-001, 383493-001, 391883-001, 398065-001, 398752-001, 395752-132, 395753-132, 396600-001, 396602-001, 398832-001, 407834-001, 435779-001, HSTNN-DB17, HSTNN-IB09, HSTNN-Q05C, HSTNN-W06C, PF723A, PH601AV, PM579A, PZ942AV
Other Popular AC Adapters & Batteries for HP Laptop
- HP Pavilion DV2000 Battery (10.8/11.1V 4400mAh Li-ion, use the same ac adapter with DV1000)
- HP Pavilion DV5000 Battery (10.8V 4400mAh Li-ion, use the same ac adapter with DV1000 )
- HP Pavilion ZV5000 Battery (14.4/14.8V 6600mAh Li-ion, 120Watt ac adapter)
- HP Pavilion DV8000 Battery (14.4/14.8V 4400mAh Li-ion, use the same adapter with DV1000, DV2000)
- HP Pavilion ZD8000 Batteries (14.4/14.8V 6600mAh Li-ion)